- An obligation to repay a sum of principal, plus interest. In corporate terms, debt often refers to bonds or similar securities.
Idaho Department of Finance - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Debt security, Exchange traded notes, Government bond, Long bond, National debt, note, Treasuries, Treasury bill (T-bill), treasury bills (t-bills), Treasury bond, Treasury Bond or Note, Treasury note, US Treasury bond
A debt is an obligation to repay an amount you owe. Debt securities, such as bonds or commercial paper, are forms of debt that bind the issuer, such as a corporation, bank, or government, to repay the security holder. Debts are also known as liabilities.
Yahoo Finance - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Commercial Paper, Debt security, Equity, money market, Paper
- Money owed from one person or institution to another person or institution.
Federal Trade Commission - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Money owed to repay someone.
Ginnie Mae - Cite This Source - This Definition
- An obligation to pay.
U.S. Census Bureau - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Bankruptcy, Deed-in-Lieu, Financing, Gift, Global Debt Facility, Mutual Funds, Pre-foreclosure Sale, Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act