(ree-KER-ent KAN-ser) Cancer that has recurred (come back), usually after a period of time during which the cancer could not be detected. The cancer may come back to the same place as the original (primary) tumor or to another place in the body. Also called recurrence.
- Browse Related Terms: anaplastic thyroid cancer, anterior urethral cancer, cancer cluster, endocrine cancer, epithelial ovarian cancer, exocrine cancer, familial medullary thyroid cancer, follicular thyroid cancer, hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer syndrome, locally recurrent cancer, ovarian cancer, ovarian epithelial cancer, pancreatic cancer, pancreatic endocrine cancer, papillary thyroid cancer, parathyroid cancer, posterior urethral cancer, recurrent cancer, salivary gland cancer, testicular cancer
(...SEE-der) A type of evergreen tree with hard fragrant wood that is a member of the cypress family. The oil from the wood is used in soaps, shampoos, bath salts, perfumes, aromatherapy, and to keep insects away. The scientific name is Juniperus virginiana . Also called cedarwood and Eastern red cedar.
- Browse Related Terms: bidi, Boswellia serrata, cedarwood, Eastern red cedar, frankincense tree, patchouli, red cedar, saw palmetto, Scutellaria barbata, tea tree
Trifolium pratense. A plant with flowers that has been used in some cultures to treat certain medical problems. It is being studied in the relief of menopausal symptoms and may have anticancer effects. Also called purple clover, Trifolium pratense , and wild clover.
- Browse Related Terms: geranium, German chamomile, pelargonium, purple clover, red clover, Trifolium pratense, wild clover
The fruit of the jujube plant. It has been used in some cultures to treat certain medical problems.
- Browse Related Terms: anecdotal report, burdock, dock, garlic, happy major, high-selenium Brassica juncea, Indian cress, kelp, lappa, lignan, red date, sesquiterpene lactone, sheep sorrel, sorrel, watercress
The inner bark of this plant has been used in some cultures to treat certain medical problems. It may have antioxidant effects. Also called gray elm, Indian elm, slippery elm, sweet elm, Ulmus fulva, and Ulmus rubra.
- Browse Related Terms: Essiac, gray elm, Indian elm, red elm, slippery elm, sweet elm, Ulmus fulva, Ulmus rubra
A type of cell that appears in people with Hodgkin disease. The number of these cells increases as the disease advances.
- Browse Related Terms: glial cell, lymph (limf), lymphatic fluid, lymphoproliferative disorder, neuroglia, post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder, PTLD, Reed-Sternberg cell, Schwann cell
Cancer that does not respond to treatment. The cancer may be resistant at the beginning of treatment or it may become resistant during treatment. Also called resistant cancer.
- Browse Related Terms: drug resistance, genetic analysis, LY335979, MS 209, NB1011, refractory cancer, resistant cancer, tariquidar, XR9576, zosuquidar trihydrochloride
(reh-JEH-neh-KAYR) A substance being studied in the treatment of certain types of skin rash and skin pain in cancer patients. The ingredients of Regenecare are collagen, aloe vera, vitamin E, and lidocaine. It may help stop bleeding, form new blood vessels, keep the skin moist, and relieve pain and itching. It is a type of topical anesthetic and a type of wound repair agent.
- Browse Related Terms: fenofibrate, Lofibra, Regenecare, TriCor
In biology, regrowth of damaged or destroyed tissue or body part.
- Browse Related Terms: asbestosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, COPD, emphysema, keloid, pertussis, phlegm (flem), regeneration, whooping cough
Also listed in:
Refers to cancer that has grown beyond the original (primary) tumor to nearby lymph nodes or organs and tissues.
- Browse Related Terms: AJCC staging system, cellulitis, distant cancer, Dukes B colorectal cancer, Dukes C colorectal cancer, Dukes D colorectal cancer, extranodal, late-stage cancer, node-negative, node-positive, palpable disease, regional cancer, Sentinel Lymph Node, sentinel lymph node mapping, stage 3 neuroblastoma, stage II AIDS-related lymphoma, stage II gastric cancer, stage II Merkel cell carcinoma, stage III cancer of the uterus, stage III extrahepatic bile duct cancer, stage III gallbladder cancer, stage III kidney cancer, stage III melanoma, stage III Merkel cell carcinoma, stage III pancreatic cancer, stage III renal cell cancer, stage IV adult soft tissue sarcoma, stage IV AIDS-related lymphoma, stage IV anal cancer, stage IV bladder cancer, stage IV cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, stage IV extrahepatic bile duct cancer, stage IV gallbladder cancer, stage IV gastric cancer, stage IV hypopharynx cancer, stage IV kidney cancer, stage IV renal cell cancer, TNM staging system
(REE-juh-nul EN-teh-RY-tis) Chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, most commonly the small intestine and colon. Regional enteritis increases the risk for colorectal cancer and small intestine cancer. Also called Crohn disease.
- Browse Related Terms: carcinoembryonic antigen, Crohn disease, DES, diethylstilbestrol, familial atypical multiple mole melanoma syndrome, FAMMM syndrome, PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome, puberty, regional enteritis, stable disease
A surgical procedure to remove some of the lymph nodes that drain lymph from the area around a tumor. The lymph nodes are then examined under a microscope to see if cancer cells have spread to them.
- Browse Related Terms: anastomosis, excisional biopsy, excisional skin surgery, incisional biopsy, lymph node dissection, lymphadenectomy, Mohs micrographic surgery, Mohs surgery, open biopsy, positive axillary lymph node, radical lymph node dissection, regional lymph node dissection, Surgery, urinary diversion
(...dy-eh-TIH-shun) A health professional with special training in the use of diet and nutrition to keep the body healthy. A registered dietitian may help the medical team improve the nutritional health of a patient.
- Browse Related Terms: biochemist, dentist, dietary counseling, dietitian, enterostomal therapist, nurse, nutritional counseling, nutritionist, occupational therapist, prosthodontist, radiation nurse, registered dietitian, rehabilitation specialist, respiratory therapist, Specialist