A type of high-energy radiation. In low doses, x-rays are used to diagnose diseases by making pictures of the inside of the body. In high doses, x-rays are used to treat cancer.
- Browse Related Terms: abdominal x-ray, bone marrow aspiration, cell proliferation, chest X-ray, diagnostic mammogram, dosimetry, Gamma-Ray, Mammogram, neuroradiologist, proliferative index, PTC, Radiologist, radiology, radon, respirator, screening mammogram, thoracodynia, x-ray
(x'-ra) electromagnetic vibrations of short wavelengths that are produced when electrons moving at high velocity impinge on various substances. These qualities make it possible to use them in taking radiographs of various parts of the body, thus revealing the presence and position of fractures or foreign bodies or etc.
- Browse Related Terms: Cyst, Disease, DNA or deoxyribonucleic acid, Edema, Immune, Inflammatory, Lymph, lymph node, Lymph vessels, Lymphedema, Rheumatoid arthritis, Sentinel Lymph Node, Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Stereotactic, x-ray
(...THAYR-uh-pee) A type of radiation therapy that uses high-energy radiation from x-rays to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors.
- Browse Related Terms: adjuvant therapy, antihormone therapy, concurrent therapy, consolidation therapy, conventional therapy, cryotherapy, gene therapy, induction therapy, intensification therapy, laser therapy, light therapy, local therapy, maintenance therapy, metabolic therapy, molecularly targeted therapy, myelosuppressive therapy, neoadjuvant therapy, oncolytic virotherapy, oncolytic virus therapy, palliative therapy, phototherapy, postremission therapy, respiratory therapy, salvage therapy, second-line therapy, steroid therapy, therapeutic, therapy, third-line therapy, x-ray therapy
(ZAN-ax) A drug used to treat anxiety disorders and panic attacks. It is being studied in the treatment of nausea and vomiting caused by some cancer treatments. It is a type of benzodiazepine. Also called alprazolam.
- Browse Related Terms: alprazolam, antiemetic, dronabinol, droperidol, emetic, Haldol, haloperidol, metoclopramide, nausea, olanzapine, Reglan, Xanax, Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis
(zeh-LOH-duh) A drug used to treat stage III colon cancer in patients who had surgery to remove the cancer. It is also used to treat metastatic breast cancer that has not improved after treatment with certain other anticancer drugs. Xeloda is being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer. It is taken up by cancer cells and breaks down into 5-fluorouracil, a substance that kills tumor cells. Xeloda is a type of antimetabolite. Also called capecitabine.
- Browse Related Terms: capecitabine, Dacogen, decitabine, deferasirox, docetaxel, Exjade, fluoropyrimidine, Taxotere, Xeloda
The cells of one species transplanted to another species.
- Browse Related Terms: allogeneic, allogenic, biochemical reactions, cell (sel), cytoplasm, parasite, parasitic, pluripotent, pluripotent stem cell, totipotent, xenograft
Also listed in:
(ZEER-oh-DER-ma pig-men-TOH-sum) A genetic condition marked by an extreme sensitivity to ultraviolet radiation, including sunlight. People with xeroderma pigmentosum are not able to repair skin damage from the sun and other sources of ultraviolet radiation, and have a very high risk of skin cancer.
- Browse Related Terms: Carney complex, desmoplastic melanoma, gigantism, hyperkeratosis, neurofibromatosis type 1, NF1, Parkinson disease, scleroderma, xeroderma pigmentosum
A substance that is being studied in the treatment of leukemia. It belongs to the family of drugs called topoisomerase inhibitors.
- Browse Related Terms: AG2037, AMD3100, amonafide, BIBX 1382, BMS-184476, captopril, CGP 48664, COX inhibitor, cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor, EKB-569, GI14721, gimatecan, MS-275, NSC 655649, phenoxodiol, PNU 166148, pyroxamide, R101933, rebeccamycin analog, risedronate, Ro 31-7453, sorivudine, ST1481, tetrahydrouridine, TTI-237, valdecoxib, XK469R
A substance being studied in the treatment of cancer. XL880 blocks enzymes involved in the growth and spread of tumor cells and in the growth of new blood vessels needed for tumors to grow. It is a type of tyrosine kinase inhibitor.
- Browse Related Terms: ammonium tetrathiomolybdate, angiogenesis inhibitor, angiostatin, antiangiogenesis, antiangiogenic, ATN-161, axitinib, BIBF 1120, CHIR-265, COL-3, COL18A1, CT-2584, CT53518, endostatin, MLN518, tandutinib, therapeutic angiotensin-(1-7), TNP-470, tyrosine kinase inhibitor BIBF 1120, vandetanib, XL880, Zactima
A substance that is being studied in the treatment of cancer. It may help tumor cells respond again to drugs they have become resistant (unable to respond) to. XR9576 is a type of multidrug resistance inhibitor and a type of P-glycoprotein antagonist. Also called tariquidar.
- Browse Related Terms: drug resistance, genetic analysis, LY335979, MS 209, NB1011, refractory cancer, resistant cancer, tariquidar, XR9576, zosuquidar trihydrochloride
A substance that is being studied in the treatment of breast cancer. It belongs to the family of drugs called taxane derivatives.
- Browse Related Terms: ABT-751, acitretin, alanosine, annamycin, atamestane, BAY 56-3722, BAY 59-8862, BBR 2778, BBR 3464, beta alethine, BL22 immunotoxin, budesonide, CC-8490, cevimeline, darbepoetin alfa, E7070, E7389, eflornithine, EP-2101, EPO906, epratuzumab, ERA-923, everolimus, gabapentin, GTI-2040, halofuginone hydrobromide, ibandronate, lometrexol, lutetium texaphyrin, MLN2704, MLN591DM1, modafinil, motexafin lutetium, nimustine, OGX-011, perifosine, perillyl alcohol, phenobarbital, phenylbutyrate, PI-88, pirfenidone, pixantrone, PV701, pyrazoloacridine, R-flurbiprofen, ravuconazole, rebeccamycin, retinyl palmitate, rhizoxin, RPR 109881A, SDX-102, SGN-00101, SJG-136, staurosporine, suramin, T900607, talotrexin, taurolidine, triamcinolone, trimetrexate glucuronate, ursodiol, velafermin, vitamin E, XRP9881, zileuton
(ZY-oh-tax) A form of the anticancer drug paclitaxel combined with a protein called poliglumex that may have fewer side effects and work better than paclitaxel. It is being studied in the treatment of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, lung cancer, and other types of cancer. It belongs to the family of drugs called mitotic inhibitors. Also called CT-2103, paclitaxel poliglumex , and paclitaxel polyglutamate .
- Browse Related Terms: aloe-emodin, arctigenin, arctiin, CT-2103, emodin, glucocorticoid, glutathione S-transferase, paclitaxel poliglumex, paclitaxel polyglutamate, S-1, Xyotax