A board, chaired by the Deputy Secretary of Defense, established to facilitate decision making during all phases of the planning, programming, and budgeting system process. Board members include the Secretaries of the Military Departments, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Under Secretaries of Defense for Acquisition and Technology, and Policy, the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Program Analysis and Evaluation, and the Comptroller of the Department of Defense. 76
- Browse Related Terms: APB, APDP, Decrement, Defense Planning and Resources Board (DPRB), DoD Directive 5000.1, Functional Support, map, MDAP, Milestone Decision Authority, Milestones (MS), PAR, Participating Service, PD-V, PD/RR, Production Baseline, Program Baseline, Program Management, Programmatic
Document issued by SECDEF to DoD components providing strategic framework for developing the Service POMs. Result of planning effort by Joint Staff, OSD, and Services. In connection with two-year budget process, DPG is issued every other (even) year.
- Browse Related Terms: Approved Program, Block Enhancement Plan (BEP), Concept Exploration & Definition, Configuration Management (CM), Defense Planning Guidance (DPG), Government Verification Management Plan (GVMP), Independent Evaluation Report (IER), Logistics Support Analysis Record (LSAR), Penetration Testing, Producibility , Programming, and Issues Resolution Strategies (PPIRS), Program Management Plan, Project Planning Guidance (PPG), Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP), Technical Objectives & Goals (TOG)
The implementation of a statutory requirement where contracts in support of national defense must be accepted and performed on a priority basis over all other contracts, and which requires the allocation of materials and facilities in such a manner as to promote the national defense. See DO and DX.
- Browse Related Terms: CDRL, Change Order, Defense Priority and Allocation System (DPAS), Independent Research and Development (IR&D), Multi-Year Procurement (MYP), obligation, SCR, Work Packages
A uniform system of progressive alert postures for use between the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the commanders of unified and specified commands and for use by the Services. Defense readiness conditions are graduated to match situations of varying military severity (status of alert). Defense Readiness Conditions are identified by the short title DEFCON (5), (4), (3), (2), and (1), as appropriate.
- Browse Related Terms: Combatant Commander, Consolidated Command Center (CCC), Defense Readiness Conditions (DEFCON), National Military Command System (NMCS), Offense/Defense Coordination, Service Component Command, Space Command Center (SPACC), Theater, U&S, UCP, Unified Command, United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM)
Advanced communications satellites in synchronous orbit around the earth. Provides high-capacity, super high-frequency (SHF) secure voice and data links for the Worldwide Military Command and Control System (WWMCCS). They support terminal deployments for contingencies; restoration of disrupted service overseas; presidential travel; global connectivity for the Diplomatic Telecommunications Services; and transmission to the continental United States of some surveillance, intelligence, and early warning data.
- Browse Related Terms: Air Force Satellite Control Network (AFSCN), Command and Control System, Command Net, Defense Satellite Communications Systems (DSCS), Guidance System (Missile), Marine Air Command and Control System, Missile Guidance System, Track Telling
A device that is intended to defend satellites by destroying attacking ASAT weapons.
- Browse Related Terms: ASAT, AWS, BW, CIWS, CW, Defense Satellite (DSAT) Weapon, DSAT, EWCC, IJSOW, JDAM, MDW, OPCW, OSWR, RW, SDS Element, Storm Shadow, Suppression, Warhead, WCP, WCS, Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), WLR, WMD, WPN, WTA
A system of satellites in geo-stationary orbits, fixed and mobile ground processing stations, one multi-purpose facility, and a ground communications network (GCN). DSPs primary mission is to provide tactical warning and limited attack assessment of a ballistic missile attack.
- Browse Related Terms: AA, AW/AA, Boost Surveillance and Tracking System (BSTS), Defense Support Program (DSP), EW/AA, ITW/AA, MARS, Reaction Decoy, SAW, SAW/V, SAWAFE, SPRN, Tactical Warning/Attack Assessment (TW/AA), Threat Characterization, TW/AA
The arranging of a defensive system to correlate with the phases of a ballistic missile trajectory; i.e., boost, post-boost, midcourse, and terminal.
- Browse Related Terms: Active Defense, Active Defense (TBMD), Ballistic Missile (BM), Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System, Battle Plan, Defense Tier, Enclave, Fast-Burn Booster (FBB), Homing All-the- Way Killer (HAWK), HSV, Kill Assessment (KA), Phased Array Tracking Radar Intercept On Target (missile) (PATRIOT), Post-Boost Phase (PBP), TALON SHIELD, Theater Ballistic Missile Defense (TBMD) System, TMD C 3 I, TMD C3I
- Browse Related Terms: ARE, Associated Object, Balloon, BRV, DEL, ERIS, Evasive MRV, HOE, KREMS, Liquid Fuel Booster (LFB), MARV, MARVIS, Matching Ballistic Reentry Vehicle (MBRV), MBRV, MIRV, MRV, MRVIS, MTV, Multiple Independently Targetable Reentry Vehicle (MIRV), Multiple Reentry Vehicle, RB, RV, RV Complex, RVAO, Short Range Air Launch Target, Shrouded RVs, SRV, Train
The inaccuracy associated with a given weapon system resulting in a dispersion of shots about the aiming point. See also Circular Error Probable. 77
- Browse Related Terms: Delivery Error, Engagement Authorization, Limited Operational Capability (LOC), Penaid (Penetration Aid), Re Targeting, Slew Time, Traverse, Weapons Commitment, Weapons Enablement, Weapons Initiation, Withhold, WRA
A numerical index of the maneuverability of a satellite or rocket. It is the maximum change in velocity, which a spacecraft could achieve in the absence of a gravitational field.
- Browse Related Terms: Air Force Satellite Communications System (AFSATCOM), DCT, Delta-V, ERCS, OBSV, SAMOS, Satellite and Missile Surveillance, SPOT, Surveillance, Satellite and Missile
Altitude at which object of interest (decoy, chaff, etc.) no longer performs its desired function (matching RV characteristics, screening RV, etc.)
- Browse Related Terms: Adaptive Flexible Defense (AFD), Demise Altitude, gateway, Global Environment, Global Environment (GE), Interchangeabilit y, Interchangeability
The acquisition phase when major program characteristics and product designs are refined through extensive study and analysis, hardware development, test, and evaluations. The objective is to validate the choice of alternatives and to provide the basis for determining whether or not to proceed into Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD).
- Browse Related Terms: Acquisition Life Cycle, Demonstration and Validation (Dem/Val), Development Test and Evaluation (DT&E), FMC, Limited Production, P&M, PMWG, Program Development and Risk Reduction (PDRR), Transition to Production