All > Science > Climate Change
- the mass per unit volume of a substance under specified conditions of pressure and temperature.
NCDC National Climatic Data Center - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Isohyet, Isotherm, Pressure, Saturation, Smog, Sverdrup, Temperature
- Mass per unit volume. The total mass (solids plus water) per total volume. The weight of soil per unit volume, usually the weight of soil in one cubic foot (unit weight). The weight of a substance per unit of volume of the substance; for example, water has a density of 62.4 pounds per 1 cubic foot. Number per unit area of individuals of any given species at any given time (see population density).
Bureau of Reclamation - Cite This Source - This Definition
- BW, Dry unit weight, Glacier (ice sheet), Low density material, Maximum unit weight, Parts Per Billion (ppb), Parts Per Million (ppm), Plumb Bob, Saturated unit weight, Specific weight, Unit weight, Unit weight of water, Wet unit weight
- In a facsimile system, a measure of the light transmission or reflection properties of an area of an object. Note 1: Density is usually expressed as the logarithm to the base 10 of the ratio of incident to transmitted or reflected irradiance. Note 2: There are many types of density, such as diffuse, double diffuse, and specular density, each of which will usually have different numerical values for different materials. The relevant type of density depends on the type of optical system, the component materials of the object, and the surface characteristics of the object. 2. In video, the degree of darkness of an image, or the percent of the screen used in an image. 3. In optics, a figure of merit that describes the degree of attenuation introduced by a filter.
ATIS - Cite This Source - This Definition
- medium access unit (MAU), OD, optical density (OD), optical link, optical transmittance, transmittance