- A grant to an inventor of the right to exclude others, for a limited time, from making, using, or selling his invention in the United States.
US District Court - Northern District of NY - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Government Printing Office (GPO), Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), Registered mark, seal, trademark
a property right granted by the Government of the United States of America to an inventor "to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States" for a limited time in exchange for public disclosure of the invention when the patent is granted.
USPTO - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Biological Material, plant application (patent), plant patent, UPR
provides the patent holder, or patentee, the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing an invention for 20 years from the date of the patent's issuance. A patent is a government-sponsored monopoly, designed to reward the inventor by providing him with incentive to risk time, effort, and money in developing new technologies. In order to earn patent protection, an invention must be
Patentable material includes machines, processes, man-made items, compositions of matter, and improvements on any of these items - for all intents and purposes, "anything under the sun produced by man," or the methods of such production.
O.W.D. Law Offices - Cite This Source - This Definition
- A grant by a patent office giving the grantee the right to exclude others from practicing a claimed invention in the jurijurisdiction of the patent office.
Robert M. Hunter, Ph.D. - Cite This Source - This Definition
- A grant by the federal government to an inventor of the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing a patented invention. Patents that cover structural or functional aspects of products, composition, and processes are utility patents. Other types of patents include design patents covering ornamental designs of useful objects and plant patents covering new varieties of living plants.
Arnold Silverman and George Stacey - Cite This Source - This Definition
- design patent, how to use, patentable, revocation, trademark
- A legal permission to hold exclusive right - for a defined period of time - to manufacture, use or sell an invention.
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - Cite This Source - This Definition
- farmers\' privilege, farmers\' rights, intellectual property rights, PBR, plant breeders\' rights, plant variety protection, plant variety rights, PvP, PVR
- When applied to genetics, the government regulations or requirements conferring the right or title to an individual or organization to genes if there has been substantial human intervention. See also gene
National Human Genome Research Institute - Cite This Source - This Definition
- In genetics, conferring the right or title to genes, gene variations, or identifiable portions of sequenced genetic material to an individual or organization. See also: gene
Human Genome Project - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Behavioral genetics, Genetic discrimination, Molecular genetics, Pharmacogenomics, population genetics