- A share of stock that represents ownership in the company that issues it. The price of the stock goes up and down, depending on how the company performs and how investors think the company will perform in the future.
CA Dept of Corporations - Cite This Source - This Definition
Stock is an equity investment that represents part ownership in a corporation and entitles you to part of that corporation's earnings and assets.
Common stock gives shareholders voting rights but no guarantee of dividend payments. Preferred stock provides no voting rights but usually guarantees a dividend payment.
In the past, shareholders received a paper stock certificate - called a security - verifying the number of shares they owned. Today, share ownership is usually recorded electronically, and the shares are held in street name by your brokerage firm.
Yahoo Finance - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Common stock, Cumulative voting, Holding company, proxy, Shareholder, Statutory voting, Voting right
- The lower portion of a graft. See: rootstock.
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - Cite This Source - This Definition
- graft, graft union, rootstock, scion, scion-stock interaction, sucker, understock
- Simply means an un alltered state, such as when you first purchase your phone from verizon, or when you do a factory reset to "go back to stock 2.1"
DroidForums.net - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Factory Reset, Hard Reset, JIT, Overclocking, Reset (hard, soft), Soft Reset, Underclocking, Vanilla