(Macular Edema) Retinal capillaries become clogged and swollen, leaking fluid into the retina and cause swelling. The leaking fluid from the capillaries will accumulate and pool in the center of the retina, the macula. The most sensitive part of the retina is the macula, which is responsible both for the fine vision used in reading, and for color vision.
- Browse Related Terms: Background Diabetic Retinopathy, diabetic eye disease, Diabetic Retinitis, Diabetic Retinopathy, Diplopia, Glaucoma, laser surgery, Maculopathy, Nonproliferative Diabetic Retinopathy, retinopathy, Visual Changes, vitrectomy
A guide to help people get the proper amount of calories, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in their diet. See also food exchanges.
- Browse Related Terms: beta cells, blood glucose, carbohydrate, food exchanges, Glucagon, glucose, hormone, Hyperinsulinism, Insulin, Insulin Producing Cells, Islet's of Langerhans, Ketones, meal plan, metabolism, Pancreas, Rebound Hyperglycemia, Somogyi Effect, Stupor
Common metabolic diseases of the body's endocrine glands are: (1) Pancreas , Islet cell of the Langerhans, diabetes mellitus. (2) Thyroid ' hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism. (3) Parathyroid , hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism. (4) Pituitary , diabetes insipidus, hyperpituitarism, hypopituitarism, hypophysitis. (5) Adrenal hyperfunction of adrenal cortex (Cushing's disease), hypofunction of adrenal gland (Addison's disease), adrenal medulla hyperfunction. (6) Gonads , ovaries, testes.
- Browse Related Terms: Diabetologist, endocrinologist, gingivitis, immunization, Metabolic Disorder, periodontitis, plaque, Secondary Diabetes, support group, vaccination, vagina
Also listed in:
The complex physical breakdown and synthesis of chemical changes occuring in the issues.
Also listed in:
Symbol for milligram per deciliters. This is the unit of measure used when referring to blood glucose levels.
- Browse Related Terms: Blood Glucose Monitoring, blood sugar, Glycohemoglobin, Glycosuria, Hypoglycemia, Hyponatremia, hypoxia, low blood glucose, mg/dl, Seizure Condition, self-monitoring blood glucose, Sugar, Syncope
See Diabetes Complications
- Browse Related Terms: Acute Complications, Brittle Diabetes, Chronic Hyperglycemia, Coma, Diabetes Complications, Diabetic, Diabetic Coma, Emergency Measures, Functional Impairments, Glucopenia, Hyperglycemic Episode or Reation, Insulin Reactions, Microvascular Diabetic Complications, Nonketotic Hyperosmolar Coma, Range of Severity, Severe Hypoglycemia, Temporary Precipitating Factor