A drug is defined as:
- A substance recognized by an official pharmacopoeia or formulary.
- A substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.
- A substance (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body.
- A substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part or accessory of a device.
- Biological products are included within this definition and are generally covered by the same laws and regulations, but differences exist regarding their manufacturing processes (chemical process versus biological process.)
- Browse Related Terms: Active Ingredient, agonist, antagonist, Biological Product, Buprenorphine, Detoxification, Drug, methadone, Opioid, Therapeutic Biological Product
Also listed in: