All > Science > Biotechnology and Genetics > Food Biotechnology
- All of the chromosomes in a cell or an individual organism, visible through a microsope during cell division.
Susan Allender-Hagedorn and Charles Hagedorn - Cite This Source - This Definition
- The chromosome constitution of a cell, an individual, or of a related group of individuals, as defined both by the number and the morphology of the chromosome s, usually in mitotic metaphase; chromosomes arranged in order of length and according to position of centromere; also, the abbreviated formula for the chromosome constitution, such as 47, + 21 for human trisomy-21 (Down's syndrome).
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - Cite This Source - This Definition
- anaphase, B chromosome, cell cycle, fission, interphase, micronucleus, Mitosis, telophase
- The chromosomal complement of an individual, including the number of chromosomes and any abnormalities. The term is also used to refer to a photograph of an individual's chromosomes. See also chromosome
National Human Genome Research Institute - Cite This Source - This Definition
- A photomicrograph of an individual's chromosomes arranged in a standard format showing the number, size, and shape of each chromosome type; used in low-resolution physical mapping to correlate gross chromosomal abnormalities with the characteristics of specific diseases.
Human Genome Project - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Chromosomal deletion, cytogenetic map, Cytogenetics, deletion, Flow karyotyping, insertion, spectral karyotype (SKY)
- The chromosome characteristics (number, shape, etc) of an individual cell or cell line, usually presented as a systematized array in pairs.
The President's Council on Bioethics - Cite This Source - This Definition
- The full set of chromosomes of a cell arranged with respect to size, shape, and number.
DHHS - Cite This Source - This Definition
- aneuploid, Autosome, diploid, Diploid human cell, haploid, metaphase, Mitosis, X inactivation, Y-chromosome