All > Science > Climate Change
- Permafrost Layer of soil or rock, at some depth beneath the surface, in which the temperature has been continuously below 0 °C for at least some years. It exists where summer heating fails to reach the base of the layer of frozen ground.
NSIDC - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Blizzard, Depth of snow, Drifting snow, Landfill, Mixed precipitation, precipitation, Sleet, Snow cover, Snowstorm
- Perennially frozen soil.
Bureau of Reclamation - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Arable, Backfurrow, Binder (soil binder), Borderline soils, Consistency, Fossorial insects, Heap, Pile, Plastic soil, Plasticity, Soil-cement bedding, Soil moisture, Surface soil, Unified Soil Classification System
- A layer of soil at varying depths below the surface in which the temperature has remained below freezing continuously from a few to several thousands of years.
NOAA National Weather Service - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Freezing Level, Frost, Frozen Dew, FRST, kelvin temperature scale, Melting Point