Algorithms which attempt to understand the true intent of a search query rather than just matching results to keywords. Natural Link (see Editorial Link) Natrual Search (see Organic Search Results)
- Browse Related Terms: Anchor text, Bait and Switch, Block Level Analysis, Breadcrumb Navigation, Conceptual Links, Google Bombing, Google Sitelinks, Home Page, Homepage, Internal Link, Internal Links, Link Baiting, Link Building, Link Reputation, Natural Language Processing, SEO, Site Map, Text Link Ads
- Browse Related Terms: beacon, Body copy, Clickthrough, Expandable Banner, Flash, Flash intro, Headings, Mouseover, Navigation, PDF, Shoskeles, Splash page, Title Attribute
Also listed in:
a web site's navigation icons, usually arranged in a row down the left hand side or along the top that plays crucial roles in directing spiders to the site's most important content and in getting site visitors to go deeper in the site
- Browse Related Terms: Agent Name Delivery, Cgi-bin, Cloaking, Hijacking of Websites, IP Delivery, Navigation bar (nav bar), Pull-down list, Robots.txt, Spider trap, Spidering, Stealth Script, Stop character
Negative Keyword is a term referenced by Google AdWords and is a form of keyword matching. This means that an advertiser can specify search terms that they do not want their ad to be associated with. For example, if you add the negative keyword "-nike" to the keyword "running shoes", the ad will not be displayed if a person searches upon the term "nike running shoes". Negative keyword matching ensures that only qualified traffic is clicking upon advertising.
- Browse Related Terms: Above the Fold, Beyond The Banner, Call To Action, Content Integration, Demographics, Geo-Targeting, Landing Page, Negative Keyword, Pay-per-post (PPP), Share of Voice, Target Audience, trademark
The act of demoting a page or site from the SERPS. Most often used against a competitor that is above your site in the SERPS but can be used purely for fun.
- Browse Related Terms: announce site to search engines, domain, Fresh, Fresh Content, MSN, Negative SEO, Results, SERPs, spamming, Static Content, Submission Service
A topic or subject which a website is focused on. Search is a broad field, but as you drill down each niche consists of many smaller niches. An example of drilling down to a niche market search search marketing, privacy considerations, legal issues, history of, future of, different types of vertical search, etc. search engine optimization, search engine advertising link building, keyword research, reputation monitoring and management, viral marketing, SEO copywriting, Google AdWords, information architecture, etc. Generally it is easier to compete in small, new, or underdeveloped niches than trying to dominate large verticals. As your brand and authority grow you can go after bigger markets.
- Browse Related Terms: Ethical SEO, Google OneBox, Information Retrieval, Inktomi, ISP (Internet Service Provider), Live.com, Looksmart, Niche, Salton, Gerard, USENET, Vertical Search, Zeal
Also listed in:
Attribute used to prevent a link from passing link authority. Commonly used on sites with user generated content, like in blog comments. The code to use nofollow on a link appears like <a href="http://wwwseobook.com.com" rel="nofollow">anchor text </a> Nofollow can also be used in a robots meta tag to prevent a search engine from counting any outbound links on a page. This code would look like this <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, NOFOLLOW"> Google's Matt Cutts also pushes webmasters to use nofollow on any paid links, but since Google is the world's largest link broker, their advice on how other people should buy or sell links should be taken with a grain of salt. Please note that it is generally not advised to practice link hoarding as that may look quite unnatural. Outbound links may also boost your relevancy scores in some search engines.
- Browse Related Terms: Bush, Vannevar, click-through, Meta Description, Meta Keywords, Meta tag, Meta tag stuffing, Meta Tags, Misspellings, Multiple Keyword Tags, Multiple Titles, Nofollow, Page title, Refresh Tag, Sniffer, Stop word
alternative non-framed HTML on a frameset page for very old, non-frames capable web browsers and search engine spiders. Placing good keyword-rich text in noframes tags is a good idea if your site is framed, but a much better idea is to ditch frames altogether and rebuild the site properly. A framed web site is not search engine friendly as long as it uses noframes tags.
- Browse Related Terms: Alt Attribute, Alt tags, comment, Comments Tag, heading, Heading tag, Hidden keywords, Hidden Text, Information Architecture, Keyword prominence, Noframes tag, Optimization, Render, Title, Title tag