- A virtual computer that resides on an HTTP server but appears to the user as a separate HTTP server. Several virtual servers can reside on one computer, each capable of running its own programs and each with individualized access to input and peripheral devices. Each virtual server can have its own domain name and IP address.
SharePoint Forum - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Applications folder, FrontPage Server Extensions, Moss, SharePoint Foundation (Server), SharePoint Server, SPS, SharePoint Portal Server, Web Application, Web Storage System
- An instance of any service type normally implemented in Internet Information Server (IIS). For example, a virtual server can be an instance of: FTP, IMAP, Instant Messaging (RVP), HTTP, NNTP, POP, SMTP. [Exchange 2000]
Microsoft - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Front-end/back-end, Hosted organization (aka virtual server, virtual machine, virtual organization), IM (Instant Messaging), IMPP (Instant Messaging Presence Protocol), Protocol farm, RVP (Rendezvous Protocol), Virtual root
- An account on a hosting company server, usually linked to its own domain. This provides an inexpensive way to run a web site with its own top level domain, and is usually indistinguishable from having a separate physical server, except that the virtual server may share an IP address with other virtual servers on the same machine. A virtual server account is fine for most uses, but will often be slower to respond than a physically separate server, and physical access to the machine will seldom be allowed. The cost of a virtual server account is a small fraction of that needed to run a real server, mainly because of the expense of the dedicated line needed to connect the server continuously to the rest of the net.
I-Search Digest - Cite This Source - This Definition
A server which allows multiple top level domains to be hosted from a single computer.
Using a virtual server can save money for smaller applications, but dedicated hosting should be used for large commercial platforms.Most domains are hosted on virtual servers, but using a dedicated server on your most important domains should add server reliability, and could be seen as a sign of quality. Dedicated servers usually run from $100 to $500 a month. Virtual servers typically run from $5 to $50 per month.
SEO Book - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Dedicated Server, DNS, HTTP, IP Address, server, SSI, Virtual Domain