Abbreviation for atto (10-18). See metric system.
- Browse Related Terms: A, AECS, AIS, C-E, CEI, EMS, ER link, ES, ESS, MHS, MIS, OSI, OSI--RM, SS7, SXS, TCB, TCS
Also listed in:
- Browse Related Terms: A/BPI, API, Battle Space, BDS, BPI, BPI/E, BPL, Bus Deployment Phase, Ground-Based Radar (GBR), HIBEX, IBIS, Layered Defense, Leverage, Midcourse Guidance, PB/MT/D ATD, PBCRAW, PBI, PBP, POTS, Preferential Defense Strategy, Terminal Phase Interceptor
In a start-stop teletypewriter system, the significant condition of the signal element that immediately precedes a character signal or block signal and prepares the receiving equipment for the reception of the code elements.
- Browse Related Terms: A-condition, alphanumeric, arithmetic shift, asynchronous transmission, Baudot code, block character, code character, comma-free code, emoticon, end-of-selection character, equal-length code, FLAG, serial transmission, start-stop modulation, stroke, stroke edge, SYN, transliterate, WRU
A standard compression algorithm, used in digital communications systems of the European digital hierarchy, to optimize, i.e., modify, the dynamic range of an analog signal for digitizing. Note: The wide dynamic range of speech does not lend itself well to efficient linear digital encoding. A-law encoding effectively reduces the dynamic range of the signal, thereby increasing the coding efficiency and resulting in a signal-to-distortion ratio that is superior to that obtained by linear encoding for a given number of bits.
- Browse Related Terms: a-law algorithm, bit synchronization, mu-law (µ-law) algorithm, return-to-zero (RZ), signal element, SLIP, SONET, synchronization bit, synchronization code, synchronous optical network, synchronous transport signal level 1 (STS-1)
Acquisition and Technology.
- Browse Related Terms: A&T, AMTL, BTI, CTCC, CTI, DETEC, DTAP, DTST, EPITS, ESPRIT, FOT, HIT, HTI, IT, ITMSC, ITPB, ITR, ITS, ITSD, MANTECH, MCTL, MSTI, NHMT, OUSD (A&T), POCT, PTWG, RHETT II, RTIM, SCARLET, SLKT, SSRT, STINFO, STSC, TARA, TDSSPA, TI, TRPC, TSEU, TTD&D, USD(A&T)
contains transports (or tape drives) controlled by a tape controller and attached to a host. The drives seen by the host may be real (physical) or they may be virtual (logical) drives emulated within the control unit.
- Browse Related Terms: A Tape Subsystem, LCU (Library Control Unit), LMU (Library Management Unit), NCS (Nearline Control Solution), Optimized Disk Utilization, Storage Array, VSM (Virtual Storage Manager), VTCS (Virtual Tape Control System)
the device into which a magnetic tape cartridge can be inserted in order to be accessible by the read/write heads and eject mechanism.
- Browse Related Terms: A Transport, ACF (Automatic Cartridge Facility), ACS (Automated Cartridge Systems), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), ANSI, ATL (Automated Tape Library), Autoloader, CAP (Cartridge Access Port), CDS (Control Data Set), CST (Cartridge System Tape), CTS (Cartridge Tape Subsystem), ECAP (Enhanced Cartridge Access Port), ECCST (Enhanced Capacity Cartridge System Tape), HSC (Host Software Component), LSM (Library Storage Module), MVC (Multiple Volume Cartridge), PTP (Pass-Through-Port), SDLT / SuperDLT, Silo, tape library, tape media changer, tape stacker, VTS (Virtual Tape Servers or Systems)
A service that is found in Office Communications Server 2007 that enables voice media to be passed through devices that use Network Address Translation (NAT) or firewalls. [Exchange 2007]
- Browse Related Terms: A/V Authentication Service, ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition), Autodiscover service, device password, Direct Push, Exchange ActiveSync, heartbeat interval, IP gateway, remote device wipe, text-to-speech, TTS (Text-to-Speech), VoIP gateway, WebReady Document Viewing