- The price that the market - any market - sets at a particular time as the price at which an asset can be bought or sold.
Idaho Department of Finance - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: Cornering the market, Fair market value, Marking to Market, Slow market, Soft market, Spoofing
- The price at which buyers and sellers trade similar items in an open marketplace. Bonds are considered liquid and are therefore valued at a market price.
Office of the Arizona State Treasurer - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: BV (Book Value), Carrying Amount, Coupon, diversification, Marking to Market, Maturity Date, Par Value, Securities Lending
The market value of a stock or bond is the current price at which that security is trading.
In a more general sense, if an item has not been priced for sale, its fair market value is the amount a buyer and seller agree upon. That's assuming that both know what the item is worth and neither is being forced to complete the transaction.
Yahoo Finance - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: Fair market value, Overbought, Soft market, Thin market, Thinly traded
- The amount a willing buyer would pay a willing seller for a home. An appraised value is an estimate of the current fair market value.
US Department of Housing and Urban Development - Cite This Source - This Definition
- The price a property can realistically sell for, based upon comparable selling prices of other properties in the same geographical area.
Ginnie Mae - Cite This Source - This Definition
- The current value of your home based on what purchaser would pay. An appraisal is sometimes used to determine market value.
Federal Trade Commission - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: Appraisal, appraisal fee, Appraised Value, Appraiser, Comparables, Comparative Market Analysis (COMPS), Eminent Domain, Equity, Fair market value, property appraisal
- the price that a record or group of records may fetch if offered for sale. See commercial value; intrinsic value
Tennessee State Library and Archives - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: administrative value, archival value, commercial value, enduring value, evidential value, fiscal value, historical value, Information, informational value, Intrinsic value, legal value, long-term record, monetary value, oral history, permanent record, permanent value, research value, shelf life, transitory record, Value