All > Technology > Virtualization
- A high-speed, high-available storage system, able to serve multiple computers at a time, dedicated to backup and archival purposes. It can be reached by Fibre Channel (FC) or iSCSI protocols.
virtualization.info - Cite This Source - This Definition
- A storage system connected to a dedicated network designed for storage attachment. SAN systems are usually block-based, and typically use the SCSI command set over a Fibre Channel network (though other command sets and network types exist as well). See also Network-Attached Storage.
VMware - Cite This Source - This Definition
- a collection of storage resources connected to computers through a high-speed network to facilitate storage provisioning and increase overall utilization.
Versatile Systems - Cite This Source - This Definition
- A storage area network (SAN) is a high-speed special-purpose network (or subnetwork) that interconnects different kinds of data storage devices with associated data servers on behalf of a larger network of users. Typically, a storage area network is part of the overall network of computing resources for an enterprise.
Dell - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Browse Related Terms: encapsulated, I/O virtualization, NAS (Network-Attached Storage), RDM (Raw Device Mapping), SAN, Storage Virtualization, virtual hard disk