A legal proceeding in which a debtor's money, in the possession of another (called the garnishee) is applied to the debts of the debtor, such as when an employer garnishes a debtor's wages.
Also listed in:
Refers to courts that have no limit on the types of criminal and civil cases over which they may preside.
- Browse Related Terms: Action, Calendar, Decision, equitable, federal question, federal question jurisdiction, General Jurisdiction, Hearing, Jurisdiction, Jurisdiction, Personal, Jurisdiction, Subject Matter, Limited Jurisdiction, Referee, Rehearing, Removal, Strict liability, United States Court of Appeals, United States Court of Claims, United States Court of International Trade, United States District Courts, United States Marshals Service
A reduction in sentenced time in prison as a reward for good behavior. It usually is one third to one half of the maximum sentence.
- Browse Related Terms: Apropos, Commutation, Concurrent sentences, Cumulative sentences, custody, Durante vita, Good time, Incarceration, Indeterminate sentence, Leniency, Parole, Tempus
The federal agency in charge of printing, binding and selling of all government publications.
- Browse Related Terms: Administrative agencies, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Government Printing Office (GPO), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Small Business Administration (SBA), Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans' Administration (VA), Worker's compensation
A body of 16-23 citizens who listen to evidence of criminal allegations, which is presented by the prosecutors, and determine whether there is probable cause to believe an individual committed an offense. See also indictment and U.S. attorney.
A body of citizens who listen to evidence of criminal allegations, which are presented by the government, and determines whether there is probable cause to believe the offense was committed. As it is used in federal criminal cases, "the government" refers to the lawyers of the U.S. Attorney's office who are prosecuting the case. Grand jury proceedings are closed to the public, and the person suspected of having committed the crime is not entitled to be present or have an attorney present. States are not required to use grand juries, but the federal government must do so under the Constitution.
A jury of inquiry whose duty it is to receive complaints and accusations in criminal matters and, if appropriate, issue a formal indictment.
Also listed in:
Serious; of importance; something grave.
- Browse Related Terms: A datu, A maximis ad minima, Ab initio, Ad finem, Ad libitum (Abbr. ad lib), Ad rem, Ad valorem, Admortization, Adversus, Agenda, Alibi, Alii, Alter ego, Anno Domini (Abbr. A.D.), Ante, Causa proxima, Cestui, Contra pacem, Coup de grace, Cum, De novo, Eo ipso, Esse, ET, Et alii (Abbr. et al.), Et sequentia (Abbr. et seq.), ex officio, Ex post facto, Gravis, Hoc, Id est (Abbr. i.e.), Idem (Abbr. Id.), In actu, In esse, In extenso, In hoc, In initio, In limine, In medias res, In rem, In toto, Indigent, Infra, Inter alia, Ipse, Ipso facto, Merger, Non, Opere citato (Abbr. op. cit.), Per viam, Post, Post hoc, Pro confesso, Pro nunc, Quantum meruit, Quid pro quo, Res judicata, Sans recours, Secundum, Sequitur (Abbr. seq.), SINE, Sui generis, Supra, Totum, Ubi supra, Ultra, Vel, Vel non, Versus (Abbr. v. or vs.), Waiver, Water rights
1. An injury, injustice or wrong which gives ground for complaint. 2. In labor law, a complaint filed by an employee regarding working conditions to be resolved by procedural machinery provided in the union contract.
- Browse Related Terms: A contrario, Arguendo, Breach, Ex contractu, Grievance, Implied contract, Quasi ex contractu, Quasi-contract, Rescission, Statute of frauds, Tender of performance
Also listed in:
A person appointed by law to assume responsibility for incompetent adults or minor children.
- Browse Related Terms: Alien, contract, Domicile, Guardian, Immigrants, Immigration, Inter vivos, Jurat, Naturalization, Voidable
Also listed in:
Legal right given to a person to be responsible for the food, housing, health care and other necessities of a person deemed incapable of providing these necessities for himself or herself.
- Browse Related Terms: Arrest, Attorney-in-fact, Conservatorship, Damnum absque injuria, Eminent Domain, Entity, Guardianship, Incapacity, Incompetent, Liable, Lien, POWER, Product liability, Promissory estoppel, Remedy, Testamentary capacity, Ultra vires, Unfair labor practice