Smoke- Smoke in various concentrations can cause significant problems for people with respiratory ailments. It becomes a more universal hazard when visibilities are reduced to ¼ mile or less.
- Browse Related Terms: Doc, Excessive Heat Outlook, Experimental Product, ITWAS, K, National Severe Storms Laboratory, NSSL, Operational Products, Residual Moisture, Smoke, track
Cold Air Mass
- Browse Related Terms: A AMS, C AMS, CAD, Cold Air Avalanche, Cold Air Dam, Cold Air Damming (CAD), cold front, Continental Air Mass, Effective Topography, Extratropical, front, K AMS, Marine Push, Maritime Air Mass, Maritime Polar Air Mass, Maritime Tropical Air Mass, Orographic Precipitation, Polar Front, Specific Humidity, Upslope Fog, Vortex, Warm front
In solar-terrestrial terms, of the white-light corona (that is, the corona seen by the eye at a total solar eclipse), that portion which is caused by sunlight scattered by electrons in the hot outer atmosphere of the sun.
- Browse Related Terms: Active Surge Region (ASR), Bright Surge on the Disk (BSD), Bright Surge on the Limb (BSL), Chromosphere, Coronal Hole, Coronal Transients, Dark Surge on Disk (DSD), F Corona, Facula, Granulation, K Corona, Prominence
The relative measure of a sensors ability to distinguish one object from another. Theoretically (but not in practice) it is the distance between the mean locations of two observed objects given normal distributions and standard deviations for both objects.
- Browse Related Terms: AASP, BDY, Cobra Eye, Common Automated System Execution (CASE), ETESD, FAS, HAVE STARE, HTSS, K Factor, Launch Verification, Local Assessment of Engagement, MCS, PATHS, RAPTOR, Revisit Interval, RV Temperature, Sensor Data, SRM, Stereo, TSS, WAS
A measure of the thunderstorm potential based on vertical temperature lapse rate, moisture content of the lower atmosphere, and the vertical extent of the moist layer. The temperature difference between 850 mb and 500 mb is used to parameterize the vertical temperature lapse rate. The 850 dew point provides information on the moisture content of the lower atmosphere. The vertical extent of the moist layer is represented by the difference of the 700 mb temperature and 700 mb dew point. This is called the 700 mb temperature-dew point depression. The index is derived arithmetically and does not require a plotted sounding.
K-index = (850 mb temperature - 500 mb temperature) + 850 mb dew point - 700 mb dew point depression
- Browse Related Terms: Delta T, Dew Point Depression, DP, Haines Index, Isentropic Surface, Isodrosotherm, Isopleth, Isotherm, K-Index, Moisture Ridge, Nieve Penitente, Radiation Fog, Total-Totals Index
A type of cancer that begins in plasma cells (white blood cells that produce antibodies). Also called multiple myeloma, myelomatosis, and plasma cell myeloma.
- Browse Related Terms: alefacept, Amevive, anti-CEA antibody, Bence Jones protein, Kahler disease, M protein, MALT lymphoma, monoclonal protein, mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma, SGN-30, SGN-40
An antibiotic of the aminoglycoside family that poisons translation by binding to the ribosomes.
- Browse Related Terms: Arabidopsis, aureofacin, chloroplast DNA, dominant marker selection, kanamycin, model, pat gene, plantibody, screen, stacked genes, T0, T1 and T2, transgenesis, Transgenic plant
A type of turbine that has two blades whose pitch is adjustable. The turbine may have gates to control the angle of the fluid flow into the blades.
- Browse Related Terms: Balance-of-System, Darrius (Wind) Machine, drag, Furling, gas turbine, hybrid system, Kaplan Turbine, Leading Edge, Lift, Nacelle, Panemone, Projected Area, Rotor, Solidity, Swept Area, Tip Speed Ratio, Trailing Edge, Wind Power
(kuh-POH-zee sar-KOH-muh) A type of cancer characterized by the abnormal growth of blood vessels that develop into skin lesions or occur internally.
- Browse Related Terms: Down syndrome, familial dysplastic nevi, Kaposi sarcoma, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, MEN syndrome, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome, paraneoplastic syndrome, phenylketonuria, PKU, syndrome
(kuh-POH-zee sar-KOH-muh-uh-SOH-see-ay-ted HER-peez-VY-rus) A type of herpesvirus that may cause Kaposi sarcoma (a rare cancer that can cause skin lesions) and a type of lymphoma (cancer that begins in the lymph system), especially in patients who have a weak immune system. Also called HHV8, human herpesvirus 8, and KSHV.
- Browse Related Terms: follicular large cell lymphoma, follicular lymphoma, follicular mixed cell lymphoma, hair follicle, histiocytic lymphoma, Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus, primary effusion lymphoma, spiculated mass, superficial
One of two classes of antibody light chains. The other is a lambda chain.
- Browse Related Terms: abzyme, antibody class, antibody structure, complementarity-determining regions, DAB, Fab, FC, hypervariable region, IgA/Igd/IgG/IgE/IgM, immunoglobulin, immunosensor, in situ hybridization, kappa chain, lambda chain, V region
A drug being studied in the treatment of cancer. It is a type of topoisomerase inhibitor. It is related to the anticancer drug camptothecin.
- Browse Related Terms: camptothecin analog, CT-2106, dextromethorphan acetic acid, DHA-paclitaxel, dimethylxanthenone acetic acid, DX-8951f, exatecan mesylate, irinotecan, karenitecin, polyglutamate camptothecin
A standard way of measuring the ability of cancer patients to perform ordinary tasks. The Karnofsky Performance scores range from 0 to 100. A higher score means the patient is better able to carry out daily activities. KPS may be used to determine a patient's prognosis, to measure changes in a patient's ability to function, or to decide if a patient could be included in a clinical trial. Also called KPS.
- Browse Related Terms: Karnofsky Performance Status, KPS, mean, Median, p-value, performance status, significant, statistically significant
A diagrammatic representation of the full chromosome set of a species, highlighting characteristic physical features of individual chromosomes.
- Browse Related Terms: balanced lethal system, chromomeres, chromonema, chromosome banding, chromosome mutation, compound chromosome, endomitosis, endoreduplication, fluorescence in situ hybridization, gene insertion, gene replacement, genome, hybrid dysgenesis, Independent assortment, jumping library, karyogram, lampbrush chromosome, locus, Locus (plural = loci), meiotic drive, paternal, polymorphism, Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP), tetrasomic, walking, X-linked, zoo FISH
- Browse Related Terms: acellular, amitosis, anaphase, cell division, cell fusion, centriole, centrosome, cybrid, cytokinesis, embryo sac, Enucleated oocyte (cytoplast), enucleated ovum, karyokinesis, micro-isolating system, mitogen, restitution nucleus