All > Science > Energy > Energy Market
An electric power system or combination of electric power systems to which a common automatic control scheme is applied in order to:
FERC - Cite This Source - This Definition
- Match, at all times, the power output of the generators within the electric power system(s) and capacity and energy purchased from entities outside the electric power system(s), with the load in the electric power system(s).
- Maintain, within the limits of Good Utility Practice, scheduled interchange with other Control Areas.
- Maintain the frequency of the electric power system(s) within reasonable limits in accordance with Good Utility Practice.
- Provide sufficient generating capacity to maintain operating reserves in accordance with Good Utility Practice.
- Browse Related Terms: Ancillary services, Automatic generation control, availability, Baseload Unit, Capacity factor, Control area, Financial liquidity, Fuel-adjustment clause, Installed capacity, Load pocket, Mothballed capacity, Peaking capacity, Plant factor, Ramp rate, Reliability must run (RMR), Retail unbundling, Voltage reduction, Wholesale electricity markets
Also listed in: