Abbreviation for uracil.
- Browse Related Terms: A, ACP, AI, ASA, BOD, Bt, C, CBD, ccc DNA, cM, cpDNA, EDV, F1, g, GDP, GLP, GRAS, GUS, Hup+, log phase, LPS, MAS, messenger RNA, monocot, mtDNA, NFT, OLA, OPU, ORF, PEG, PG, Phage, PHB, PPM, PR protein, PWP, RH, RIA, RIP, RNAase, RNase, RuBP, SC, SCA, SCE, SCP, simple sequence repeat, SNP, sperm, ssDNA, T, U, VSG
Also listed in:
The U.S. agency responsible for regulation of biotechnology products in plants and animals. The major laws under which the agency has regulatory powers include the Federal Plant Pest Act (PPA), the Federal Seed Act, and the Plant Variety Act (PVA). In addition, the Science and Education (S&E) division has nonregulatory oversight of research activities that the agency funds.
- Browse Related Terms: EPA, Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), FIFRA, National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Science Foundation (NSF), refugium, Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Browse Related Terms: bacteriocin, casein, chimeric protein, Chloramphenicol, cytochrome p450, delta endotoxins, ecdysone, enterotoxin, Enzymes, G protein, G-protein coupled receptor, heterologous protein, homodimer, homomultimer, hypervariable segment, isoform, metallothionein, multimer, mycoprotein, native protein, primosome, recA, ribosome-inactivating protein, SOS response, supercoiled plasmid, tubulin, ubiquitin
- Browse Related Terms: alpha globulin, autocatalytic reaction, biological ageing, Cofactor, deoxycytidine, diplochromosome, DMSO, ER, Estrogen, false fruit, filial generation, gobar, haplozygous, heat therapy, hemolymph, homeodomain, idiogram, immunochemical control, in situ plaque hybridization, lac repressor-lac promoter system, mariculture, Michaelis constant, molecular pharming, nullisomic, photoautotroph, pleiotropic, poly-(A) tail, procaryotic, septate, T0, T1 and T2 cell, ultrasonication, viviparous, water soaked
Host plant for a grafted scion, a branch or shoot from another plant; an understock may be a fully grown tree or a stump with a living root system.
- Browse Related Terms: epiphyte, fibrous root, forskolin, hydroponics, mist propagation, pre-transplant, radicle, rhizobacterium, Rhizosphere, rol, root cutting, root tuber, Root zone, scion-stock interaction, secondary root, tap root, understock, vermiculite
Undifferentiated cells are those which have not been committed to become part of a specialized tissue.
- Browse Related Terms: autolysis, basophil, cell differentiation, de-differentiation, determination, Differentiation, Dolly, embryo cloning, ES cells, gene regulation, gland, In situ, intercellular space, parenchyma, somatic cell gene therapy, Somatic cells, stem cell, undifferentiated
Also listed in:
- Browse Related Terms: asynapsis, bivalent, chiasma, diplotene, meiotic analysis, pachynema, pairing, quadrivalent, recombination, Synapsis, synaptonemal complex, terminalization, unequal crossing over, zygonema
Tissues, organs or organisms consisting of a single cell.
- Browse Related Terms: bio-engineering, Cell, cell culture, constitutive gene, deme, diazotroph, endogenous, excrete, Host, in vitro, mammary gland, monophyletic, Mosaic, organoid, organoleptic, primordium, pro-meristem, protozoan, unicellular
The inheritance of genes exclusively from one parent, e.g. chloroplast DNA is inherited either maternally (many angiosperms) or paternally (most gymnosperms).
- Browse Related Terms: avirulence gene, gene tracking, Marker, maternal inheritance, phase state, supergene, uniparental inheritance, Vertical transmission
Higher organisms (animals or plants) possessing either male or female reproductive organs, but not both.
- Browse Related Terms: androgenesis, broodstock, capacitation, carpel, dichogamy, gynandromorph, gynogenesis, hermaphrodite, monoecious, ovary, pistil, polar bodies, protogyny, sex chromosome, sex determination, sex-influenced dominance, sire, sperm competition, stamen, unisexual
An unpaired chromosome at the first division of meiosis.
- Browse Related Terms: autopolyploid, cell cycle, Centromere, chromatid, chromosome theory of inheritance, colchicine, Crossing over, diakinesis, diplonema, disjunction, equational division, homoeologous, homologous, Homologous recombination, leptonema, Metaphase, non-disjunction, polytene chromosome, prophase, pseudo-autosomal region, segregation, spindle, univalent
Cells that, after introduction into a recipient, will not induce an immune response that leads to their rejection.
- Browse Related Terms: adoptive immunization, allergen, antibody-mediated immune response, auto-immune disease, auto-immunity, B cell, cell-mediated (cellular) immune response, clonal selection, effector cells, humoral immune response, immune response, immunization, immunogenicity, immunoprophylaxis, immunosuppressor, Interleukin, lymphokine, major histocompatibility antigen, memory cell, monokine, multivalent vaccine, passive immunity, phagocytes, primary immune response, secondary immune response, T cell, T-cell-mediated (cellular) immune response, universal donor cell, vaccination
- Browse Related Terms: codon, Genetic code, Initiation codon, isoenzyme, monolignols, nonsense mutation, Open reading frame, start codon, Stop codon, Termination codon, tRNA, universality
- Browse Related Terms: antiauxin, ascites, callus culture, cell line, cell strain, coconut milk, cryobiological preservation, cytokinin, fibroblasts, gelatin, hybridoma, hygromycin, liquid medium, selection pressure, unorganized growth
The region extending in a 5' direction from a gene.
1. The stretch of DNA lying in the 5' direction from the site being considered. Where the reference point is the initiation of transcription, the first transcribed base is designated +1 and upstream nucleotides are marked with minus signs, e.g. -1, -10; 2. In chemical engineering, those phases of a manufacturing process that precede the biotransformation step. Refers to the preparation of raw materials for a fermentation process. Also called upstream processing.
Also listed in:
- Browse Related Terms: alkylating agent, bp, cDNA, cytosine, Enzyme Commission number, guanine, heterogeneous nuclear RNA, megabase, Radioimmunoassay, ribonuclease, rRNA, thymidine kinase, thymine, tk, uracil
Also listed in:
- Browse Related Terms: adenosine, cytidine, cytidine triphosphate (cytidine 5'-triphosphate), deoxyribonucleoside, deoxyribose (2-deoxyribose), guanosine, peptide nucleic acid, ribonucleoside, thymidine, uridine