- Browse Related Terms: ABT, ABV, ACRS, AFT, AFTR, AGN, ALG, ALTHO, AMD, AOA, AOB, ARND, AVBL, BCM, BCMNG, BFR, BGN, BHND, BLO, BLV, BRF, BTR, BTWN, BYD, CFC, CHGS, CLR, DMSH, DURG, EBND, EFCT, ELSW, ENDG, ERLY, EXCLD, FASTST, FM, FTHR, GEN, GNRL, GRT, GRTST, GTR, HND, HV, HWVR, IMPT, INDC, LN, LRG, LTL, LTR, LTST, MDNGT, METRO, MISC, MISG, MNLY, MR, MSTLY, NBND, NEC, NIL, NLY, NMBR, NR, NWLY, NWRD, NWRN, NXT, OTR, OTRW, OVR, PCT, PRBLY, PSBL, PSBLY, QG, RIOGD, RTRD, RW, SBND, SEWD, SGFNT, SPCLY, SS-, Sun Dog, SVRL, SWWD, SXN, TDA, THRFTR, THRU, THRUT, TIL, TWD, WBND, WL, XCITED, YDA
- See Alternating current
- Browse Related Terms: AC, Alternating current (AC), Battery, Build-out capacity, Cadmium (Cd), DC, Direct current (DC), DNI, Electrolytes (battery), Gallium (Ga), Inverter, Irradiance, Photovoltaic (PV) cell, Power conditioning system (PCS)
1. Abbreviation for Altocumulus - a cloud of a class characterized by globular masses or rolls in layers or patches, the individual elements being larger and darker than those of cirrocumulus and smaller than those of stratocumulus. These clouds are of medium altitude, about 8000-20,000 ft (2400-6100 m).
2. Convective outlook issued by the Storm Prediction Center. Abbreviation for Anticipated Convection; the term originates from the header coding [ACUS1] of the transmitted product.
Also listed in:
Abbreviation for 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylase. The enzyme catalyses the rate limiting step in the ethylene biosynthetic pathway, and is particularly significant in the fruit ripening process. Plants typically carry a number of distinct ACC synthase genes, which are differentially regulated in response to a variety of developmental, environmental and chemical factors.
- Browse Related Terms: ACC synthase, catabolite activator protein, CP4 EPSPS, cyclic adenosine monophosphate, enolpyruvyl-shikimate-3-phosphate synthase, EPSP synthase, EPSPS, growth hormone
(usually pronounced ACK-kis) - A lto C umulus CAS tellanus; mid-level clouds (bases generally 8 to 15 thousand feet), of which at least a fraction of their upper parts show cumulus-type development. These clouds often are taller than they are wide, giving them a turret-shaped appearance. ACCAS clouds are a sign of instability aloft, and may precede the rapid development of thunderstorms.
- Browse Related Terms: ACCAS, Cb, CBMAM, Cell, Congestus, Convection, CU, Cumuliform, Cumulus, Cumulus Buildups, Cumulus Congestus, DNS, Flanking Line, TCU, Towering Cumulus, Turkey Tower, Updraft
Changing velocity. This implies that either an object's speed (rate of change of position) or direction of motion is changing.
- Browse Related Terms: Acceleration, Doppler Effect, evolution, Fluctuation, Phase Transition, Redshift, Velocity
- In terms of flow, acceleration is the time rate of change of the velocity vector, either of magnitude or direction or both.
- Browse Related Terms: Acceleration, Flood severity, Flow line, Flow net, Hydrograph, Laminar Flow, Stream line, Turbulent flow, Velocity
Also listed in:
A measure of earthquake acceleration (i.e., shaking) on the ground surface expressed in g, the acceleration due to the Earth's gravity.
- Browse Related Terms: Acceleration (peak horizontal), Direct Normal Insolation (DNI), Earthquake, Excessive grades, Ground motion (shaking), Peak horizontal acceleration, Planetary boundary layer turbulence structure, Slope stability, Steep slopes, stolon, Surface water, Tsunami
Draws attention to special features or enhances the aesthetic qualities of an indoor or outdoor environment.
- Browse Related Terms: Accent lighting, Aerobic Bacteria, Anaerobic Bacteria, Composting, Composting Toilet, Diffuse Solar Radiation, Ecosystem, environment, Eutrophication, Microclimate, Wind Energy
Estimate of the largest amount of a chemical to which a person can be exposed on a daily basis that is not anticipated to result in adverse effects (usually expressed in mg/kg/day). The daily exposure level which, during an entire lifetime of a human, appears to be without appreciable risk on the basis of all facts known at the time. See RFD.
- Browse Related Terms: Acceptable daily intake (ADI), Appraisal estimate, Benefit-cost ratio (B/C), Certification signature, Checked signature, Contingencies, Feasibility, Feasibility estimate, Improvement, Net economic benefits, Unlisted items, Use value, Variable costs
The regulation of the rate of respiration by the availability of ADP as a phosphate acceptor.
- Browse Related Terms: acceptor control, adenosine triphosphate (adenosine 5'-triphosphate), ATP-ase, flavin adenine dinucleotide, gelatinization, oxidative phosphorylation, phosphorolysis, pyrophosphate, semi-permeable membrane
- Browse Related Terms: acceptor junction site, cloning site, donor junction site, E site, lymphoma, oligonucleotide-directed mutagenesis, oligonucleotide-directed site-specific mutagenesis, recognition sequence, restriction site, targeted drug delivery
A charge levied on a power supplied, or its customer, for access to a utility's transmission or distribution system. It is a charge for the right to send electricity over another's wires.
- Browse Related Terms: access charge, Commercial river trip, Direct access, Distribution, Grid operator, Unbundling (functional unbundling), Utility, Wheeling, Wholesale power market
Also listed in:
A location staffed to restrict entry of unauthorized personnel into a risk area during emergency and/or disaster events. Access control is normally performed just outside of the risk area and involves use of vehicles, barricades, or other measures to deny access to a particular area.
- Browse Related Terms: Access control point, BSC, Confined space, Deviator stress, Existence value, Social value (psychological value), Test pit, Traffic control point
Gravel or dirt roads (rarely paved) that provide overland access to transmission line and pipeline rights-of-way (ROWs) and facilities for construction, inspection, maintenance, and decommissioning. Access roads have an average distance of 5 mi or less, have a nominal width of 15 ft, and exist within the center of a nominal 25-ft-wide ROW.
- Browse Related Terms: AADT, Access roads, Average Annual Daily Traffic (AADT), Climate, Glare, Low-income population, mean, Median household income, Median housing value, Milligauss (mG), Per capita income, Slip rate, Taxonomy
- Browse Related Terms: Access shaft, Barrage (gate-structure dam), Bascule gate., Best gate, Cylinder gate, Flap gate, Full gate, Gate hanger, Roller drum gate., Shaft house, Tainter gate
- Browse Related Terms: accessory bud, acropetal, base substitution, basipetal, bio-informatics, buoyant density, equilibrium density gradient centrifugation, in silico, insertion mutation, Insertion mutations, mismatch repair, Parafilmä, proofreading, Risk Assessment, velocity density gradient centrifugation, wobble hypothesis