In philosophy it is the study of being. As it relates to search, it is the attempt to create an exhaustive and rigorous conceptual schema about a domain. An ontology is typically a hierarchical data structure containing all the relevant entities and their relationships and rules within that domain. See also: Wikipedia: Ontology Open Directory Project, The (see DMOZ)
- Browse Related Terms: Black Hat SEO, Boolean search, Grey Hat SEO, ontology, Personalization, White Hat SEO, Whois
Also listed in:
A directory project run by thousands of volunteer editors. In principal, this is a very exciting and powerful way to organise the web. In practice, there have been some problems with the behaviour of some of the editors, which has caused some initial difficulty for the organisers. Initially known as NewHoo, the project is now part of Netscape (and therefore of AOL). See http://directory.mozilla.org.
- Browse Related Terms: Daughter Window, Floating Ads, Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox, Open Directory Project, Pop-under, Toolbar
Software which is distributed with its source code such that developers can modify it as they see fit.
On the web open source is a great strategy for quickly building immense exposure and mindshare.
- Browse Related Terms: 200, 404, AJAX, Click-down Ad or Click-within Ad, Custom error page, Error page, Fair Use, Flash Page, HTTP 301 Status Code Definition, HTTP 302 Status Code Definition, HTTP 400 Status Code Definition, HTTP 401 Status Code Definition, HTTP 403 Status Code Definition, HTTP 404 Status Code Definition, HTTP 410 Status Code Definition, HTTP 500 Status Code Definition, HTTP 501 Status Code Definition, Interstitial Ad, Open Source, Token
Changes made to a web page to improve the positioning of that page with one or more search engines. A means of helping potential customers or visitors to find a web site. Optimization may involve design/layout changes, new text for the title-tags, meta-tags, alt- attributes, headings, and changes to the first 200-250 words of the main text. A large image map at the top of a page should be moved further down the page. Frames should be avoided (unless navigational links are also provided within the frames).
- Browse Related Terms: Alt Attribute, Alt tags, comment, Comments Tag, heading, Heading tag, Hidden keywords, Hidden Text, Information Architecture, Keyword prominence, Noframes tag, Optimization, Render, Title, Title tag
Most major search engines have results that consist of paid ads and unpaid listings. The unpaid / algorithmic listings are called the organic search results. Organic search results are organized by relevancy, which is largely determined based on linkage data, page content, usage data, and historical domain and trust related data.
Most clicks on search results are on the organic search results. Some studies have shown that 60 to 80% + of clicks are on the organic search results.
- Browse Related Terms: Arbitrage, Ask, Banner Blindness, Behavioral Targeting, Business.com, Catch All Listing, Clickthrough rate, CTR, Doorway Pages, Entry Page, Google AdSense, Jump Page Ad, Keyword Purchasing, Organic Search Results, Paid inclusion, Referral Fees, Scumware, Search Marketing, Spyware, Syndication
A link from one website pointing at another external website. Some webmasters believe in link hoarding, but linking out to useful relevant related documents is an easy way to help search engines understand what your website is about. If you reference other resources it also helps you build credibility and leverage the work of others without having to do everything yourself. Some webmasters track where their traffic comes from, so if you link to related websites they may be more likely to link back to your site. See also: Live Search: LinkFromDomain:SEOBook.com - shows pages that my site links at.
- Browse Related Terms: Broken Link, Dead Link, Deep Link, Deep Link Ratio, Link Farm, Link Rot, Outbound Link, Outbound links, Reciprocal linking, Reciprocal Links, Submission, Yahoo! Site Explorer
The company which pioneered search marketing by selling targeted searches on a pay per click basis. Originally named GoTo, they were eventually bought out by Yahoo! and branded as Yahoo! Search Marketing. See also: Yahoo! Search Marketing
- Browse Related Terms: Affiliate Marketing, Alexa, AllTheWeb, Bid management tool, Copyright, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Landing Page Quality Scores, Overture, Relevancy, ROI, SEM, The Tragedy of the Commons, Yahoo! Search Marketing
Popular keyword research tool, based largely on Yahoo! search statistics. Heavily skewed toward commercially oriented searches, also combines singular and plural versions of a keyword into a single version.
- Browse Related Terms: AdCenter, Analytics, API, Automated Bid Management Software, GAP (Google Advertising Professional), Google, Google Analytics, Google Keyword Tool, Google Pack, Google Trends, Googleware, Keyword Research Tools, Machine-generated, Overture Keyword Selector Tool, Portal Site, Supplemental Pages, Traffic Estimator, Wordtracker