Also called electronic mail, refers to messages sent over the Internet. E-mail can be sent and received via newer types of wireless phones, but you generally need to have a specific e-mail account.
- Browse Related Terms: e-mail, Flame, flat rate service, message unit, multilevel precedence and preemption (MLPP), nine-hundred (900) service, paging system, postalize, radio access system controller, roaming, short message service (SMS), Temporary Local Directory Number (TLDN):, TTY, weighted standard work second
Also listed in:
[A] cryptosystem performing or controlling a function as an integral element of a larger system or subsystem. [INFOSEC-99]
- Browse Related Terms: embedded computer, embedded cryptographic system, Masquerading, mimicking, passphrase, print suppression, Rainbow Series, security perimeter, Sniffer, Subassembly, Threat Analysis, virtual password
A channel provided on telecommunications facilities to support administration and maintenance. For primary rate access, the EOC is the extended superframe (ESF) data link. [T1.408-1990]
- Browse Related Terms: access connection, adaptive channel allocation, automatic sounding, basic access, broadband exchange (BEX), Capacity, channel gate, Channelization, circuit transfer mode, common control, common equipment, common-channel interoffice signaling (CCIS), embedded operations channel (EOC), multidestination mode (MD), positioned channel, primary channel, primary rate interface (PRI), restricted channel, secondary channel, statistical multiplexing, T-carrier, terminal
In non-ADP equipment, a CPU and firmware that are critical to the operation of the equipment. Note: An embedded processor is not subject to FIRMR regulation when used for control of devices such as weapons systems, communications devices, home appliances, automobile diagnostics, etc.
- Browse Related Terms: clock, embedded processor, facsimile (FAX), master clock, Plenum, Radio Regulations, turnkey
Analysis of a system, subsystem, facility, or equipment to determine its electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) status. Note: The EMC analysis may be theoretical analysis before construction or an empirical analysis after construction.
- Browse Related Terms: Check, EMC analysis, reliability assessment, reproducible fault, Restitution, system analysis
The EBS is composed of AM, FM, and TV broadcast stations; low-power TV stations; and non-Government industry entities operating on a voluntary, organized basis during emergencies at national, state, or operational (local) area levels. [47CFR]
- Browse Related Terms: Aeronautical Emergency Communications System (AECS) Plan, attention signal, cable television relay service (CARS) station, community antenna television (CATV), Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), Must-carry (Retransmission), pilot subcarrier, primary service area, Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act Of 1999 (SHVIA), secondary service area, stereophonic sound subcarrier
A modified changeover procedure that is used whenever the normal changeover procedure cannot be used because of failure(s) in the signaling terminal equipment or inaccessibility between the two involved signaling points. [T1.226-1992]
- Browse Related Terms: active signaling link, alignment error rate monitoring, alternate routing, alternative routing, change back, controlled rerouting, emergency changeover, management inhibit, normal routing, processor outage, route verification, signaling link activation, signaling link restoration, signaling traffic management functions
A transmitter of an aircraft or survival craft actuated manually or automatically that is used as an alerting and locating aid for survival purposes. [NTIA] [RR]
- Browse Related Terms: aeronautical mobile service, aeronautical mobile-satellite service, aircraft station, communications system survivability, emergency locator transmitter (ELT), maritime broadcast communications net, maritime mobile service, maritime mobile-satellite service, ship station, survivable operation
A station in the mobile service the emissions of which are intended to facilitate search and rescue operations. [NTIA] [RR]
- Browse Related Terms: aeronautical Earth station, base Earth station, base station, coast Earth station, coast station, emergency position-indicating radiobeacon station, oceanographic data interrogating station, oceanographic data station, on-board communication station, port operations service, radiobeacon station, satellite emergency position-indicating radiobeacon, ship Earth station, survival craft station
A special attendant position used to terminate emergency calls. It provides sufficient signaling and display capabilities to support the functionality of routed, bridged and transferred emergency calls. [After T1.628-1993]
- Browse Related Terms: communications sink, connectivity, emergency service attendant position (ESAP), signal transfer point (STP), signaling end point, signaling link, transfer capacity