The external surface of a structure, such as the surface of a dam.
The external surface of a structure, such as the surface of a dam or appurtenance.
- Exposed surface of dam materials (earth, rockfill, or concrete), upstream and downstream. The external surface which limits the structure, see neatlines. The more or less vertical surface of rock exposed by blasting or excavating. The cutting end of a drill hole.
- Browse Related Terms: Approach channel, Face, False set., Forepole, Neatlines (of structure), Open-cut, Pit, Shoring, Strut, Subsidence, Timbering
Also listed in:
- Structures associated with Reclamation irrigation projects, municipal and industrial water systems, power generation facilities, including all storage, conveyance, distribution, and drainage systems.
- Browse Related Terms: AEB, Annual operating cost, Baseloading, Conservation Storage, Excess capacity, Facilities, Horsepower (hp), Hydraulic, Low-head hydroelectric, Nonfirm power, Pneumatic, Project-use energy, Project-use power, Purchased power, Short-throated flumes, Synchronous condensers, volt-amperes reactive (vars), Water demand
- With reference to a wall or concrete dam, a coating of a different material, masonry or brick, for architectural or protection purposes, e.g., stonework facing, brickwork facing. With reference to an embankment dam, an impervious coating or face on the upstream slope of the dam.
- Browse Related Terms: Cyclopean dam, Facing, Hollow gravity dam (cellular gravity dam), Masonry, Masonry dam, Rubble dam
- The ratio of the ultimate strength of the material to the allowable or working stress.
- Browse Related Terms: Abutment Seepage, Angle of internal friction (angle of shear resistance), ASTM, Concentrated flow path, Conveyor, digitizer, Ductility, Factor of safety, Feather, Flail, Nominal size, Ply, Specific Yield, Vein, Water saturation, Windrow
- An incident resulting in the uncontrolled release of water from a dam. Destroyed and made useless, ceases to function as a dam. More severe and hazardous than a breach. See dam failure.
- Browse Related Terms: Base safety condition (BSC), Dam Failure, Dam safety deficiency, Dam safety issue, failure, Level of protection (LOP), Low hazard, Population at risk (PAR), Probability of failure, Risk Assessment, Significant hazard, Warning time (WT)
Also listed in:
- A judgment of the potential for failure of an essential element within the expected life of the project. Five terms are used to describe the assessment: negligible, low, moderate, high, and urgent. A rating of negligible reflects the judgment that failure of the essential element is regarded as very unlikely; low reflects the judgment that failure is unlikely; moderate reflects the judgment that failure is possible and further data collection and/or analyses may be required; high reflects the judgment that failure is very probable; urgent reflects the judgment that failure is imminent.
- Browse Related Terms: Annualized loss of life, APE, Decomposition, Effective peak ground acceleration, Esthetics, Failure potential assessment, Hazardous materials, Intangible Flood Damage, Job hazard analysis (JHA), Random earthquake, Risk, Uncertainty, Velocity Zones
- The amount of slope given to horizontal runs of pipe.
- Browse Related Terms: Annular space, Bailer, Bend, Branch, Butt joint (open joint), Casing, Deflect, Elongate, Fall, Field tile, Flange, Full hydraulic capacity, Gated pipe, Hanger, Haunches (haunch), import, Main, Manifold (Header), nipple, Nominal diameter, P.T, Perforated pipe, Run, Siphon, Siphonage, tile, Vertical curve
Also listed in:
- Land plowed and tilled and left unplanted.
- Browse Related Terms: Coastal Flooding, Corridor, Easement, Environmental analysis, Fallow, Flowage, Flowage easement, Geomorphology, Irrigation, Land ownership, Land retirement, Marginal land, Marine Environment, Multiple use, National Monument, National Parks, Plot, Public land order, Right of way, River corridor, Rural area, Sacred site, Soil conservation, Wilderness
- Water delivered to a farm which is not made available to the crop to be irrigated.
- Browse Related Terms: Consumptive use, Crop irrigation requirement, Crop water requirement, Effective Precipitation (Rainfall), Farm loss (water), Gross crop value, Irrigated Area, Irrigation requirement, On-farm irrigation efficiency
- Any problem, lack, or conflict (real or perceived) that will destroy a solution or process. A negative effect that cannot be offset by any degree of benefits from other factors.
- Browse Related Terms: ATV, Automated Local Evaluation in Real Time (ALERT), Caution Stage, Decision makers, Fatal flaw, Local Flood Warning System (LWFS), Modeling, Public Alert and Notification System, Route alerting, User fee
- A multiplication factor based on the estimated severity of the flood, potential warning times, and the judgement related to the understanding of the flood severity.
- Browse Related Terms: Contour flooding, Fatality rate, Flash Flood Statement (FFS), Flash flood warning, Flash Flood Warning (FFW), Flash Flood Watch, Flash Flood Watch (FFA), Flood Plain Information Studies, Flood Potential Outlook (ESF on AFOS) (FPO), Flood severity understanding, Flood Statement (FLS), Flood Warning (FLW), Local Flooding, Quantitative precipitation forecasts, Urban Flooding
- A fracture or fracture zone in the earth's crust along which there has been displacement of the two sides relative to one another or in rock along which the adjacent rock surfaces are differentially displaced. Break in rocks along which movement has occurred. A shear with significant continuity that can be correlated between observation points. See active fault.
Also listed in:
NWSRFS Forecast Program to produce operational forecasts.
- Browse Related Terms: E-19, Report on River Gage Station, FCST, Forecast Point, Headwater Advisory Table, Hydrometeorological Technicians, Mission of the Hydrologic Services Program, Probabilistic Quantitative Precipitation Forecast (PQPF), Quantitative Precipitation Forecast (QPF), River Forecast (RVF), River Forecast Center (RFC), River Recreation Statement (RVR), River Summary (RVA), Site-Specific, Stair Stepping, Water Supply Outlook (ESS) Product
Also listed in: