A time of widespread glaciation.
- Browse Related Terms: arid, ATTM, CST, Duration of Sunshine, EST, GPS, Hyetograph, Ice Age, Issuance Time, LST, MST, PST, RTVS, Spring Tide, Synoptic Weather, Watch, Wave Period
Also listed in:
A barely visible crystalline form of ice that has the shape of needles, columns or plates. Ice crystals are so small that they seem to be suspended in air. Ice crystals occur at very low temperatures in a stable atmosphere.
- Browse Related Terms: ATMP, Conduction, Convective Temperature, DEW, DEWP, Freezing Level, Global Warming, Green Line, Hypothermia, Ice Crystals, MINT, SST, TEMPS, Thermistor, Urban Heat Island, Wet-Bulb Temperature, WTMP
Same as Freezing Fog; a suspension of numerous minute ice crystals in the air, or water droplets at temperatures below 0Âº Celsius, based at the Earth's surface, which reduces horizontal visibility; also called ice fog.
- Browse Related Terms: CLD, cloud, Collection Efficiency, FG, fog, Fogbow, Freezing Fog, Ice Fog, Mist, VSBY
(abbrev. IP) Same as Sleet; defined as pellets of ice composed of frozen or mostly frozen raindrops or refrozen partially melted snowflakes. These pellets of ice usually bounce after hitting the ground or other hard surfaces. Heavy sleet is a relatively rare event defined as an accumulation of ice pellets covering the ground to a depth of Â½" or more.
- Browse Related Terms: Cirriform, Glaciation, Ice Nucleus, Ice Pellets, Mare's Trail, Melting Level, PL, Sleet, THN
An ice storm is used to describe occasions when damaging accumulations of ice are expected during freezing rain situations. Significant accumulations of ice pull down trees and utility lines resulting in loss of power and communication. These accumulations of ice make walking and driving extremely dangerous. Significant ice accumulations are usually accumulations of Â¼" or greater.
- Browse Related Terms: FRZN, FZRA, Ice Storm, Mixed precipitation, R, RA, Rain Gauge, ZR
This product is issued by the National Weather Service when freezing rain produces a significant and possibly damaging accumulation of ice. The criteria for this warning varies from state to state, but typically will be issued any time more than 1/4" of ice is expected to accumulate in an area.
- Browse Related Terms: Heavy Snow Warning, High Wind Advisory, High Wind Warning, High Wind Watch, Ice Storm Warning, Lake Effect Snow Advisory, Lake Effect Snow Warning, Snow Advisory, Wind Chill Advisory, Wind Chill Warning, Winter Storm Warning, Winter Storm Watch, Winter Weather Advisory
A semi-permanent, subpolar area of low pressure in the North Atlantic Ocean. Because of its broad area and range of central pressure, it is an area where migratory lows tend to slow down and deepen. It is strongest during a Northern Hemisphere winter and early spring, centered over Iceland and southern Greenland, and is the dominate weather feature in the area. During the summer, it is weaker, less intense, and might divide into two parts, one west of Iceland, the other over the Davis Strait between Greenland and Baffin Island. Then the Azores or Bermuda High becomes the dominate weather feature in the North Atlantic.
- Browse Related Terms: Aleutian Low, Azores High, Bermuda High, DMNT, Icelandic Low, North Pacific High, Polar Jet, Polar Jet Stream
Also listed in:
A coating of ice on a solid object.
- Browse Related Terms: Agglomerate, Clear Ice, Flow Separation, Glaze, Hoar Frost, Icing, Rime Ice, Separation Eddy, snow
Also listed in: